BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Debian / Ubuntu restore solution?

2013-12-10 11:52:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Debian / Ubuntu restore solution?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:50:51 -0600
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
<chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
> On 12/10 01:12 , Adam Hardy wrote:
>> What is the most effective approach for getting my system going on a
>> new hard drive with BackupPC running and the other server config
>> (gateway, DHCP, DNS etc)? Preferably without manually reconfiguring
>> each software package.
>
> As I understand it, What you're looking to do is to clone the existing
> installation to a new hard drive. This is pretty simple with Linux.
>
> * Plug the new drive into the old system somewhere.
>
> * Ideally, boot the system with a rescue CD such as Knoppix. This gives you
> an OS to work with the system independent of the OS instance you're trying
> to copy.

Another option would be to boot the 'clonezilla-live' CD.  It will
come up with a menu of options to save/restore images and can either
save an intermediate copy to files on a network or usb device for
subsequent restore or can work directly if you can get both drives
connected to the same host.   If the drive is not full, it may be
faster than using dd since it knows enough about most filesystems to
only copy the used blocks.   It will also reinstall grub for you and
has an option to expand the filesystems after the copy (although I
think it does this proportionally and you can't give one filesystem a
larger percentage of the space).