BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] (solved) Error: Unable to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html: configuration

2013-03-24 16:08:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] (solved) Error: Unable to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html: configuration
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:07:25 +0100
Hi,

Jeffrey wrote on 2013-03-24 14:59:08 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable
to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html:?configuration]:
> Rickinfl wrote at about 10:37:31 -0700 on Sunday, March 24, 2013:
>  > How rude... I post a help question with my issue and this is the
>  > response I get? I'm not seeing a Jeffrey even in here responding to
>  > me.

I'm somewhat tempted to suggest he open his computer casing to verify that, in
fact, not only Jeffrey is not in there, but neither am I. But I won't do that.

> I guess I shouldn't ask "whom he is calling rude" or "what issue" though
> the OP's lack of quoting and the fact that the OP still thinks this is a
> forum makes it hard to know whom he is accusing and what he is
> referring to... I guess at least this time, I am pretty sure it's not
> me whom he is calling rude since he can't see my responses...

No, it's me ... I guess. As mostly, BackupCentral again gets threading wrong,
so, technically, he's responding to himself.

And it's *not only* his lack of quoting, really. Even in the sum of his
messages, I doubt there is enough information for us to guess what problem
he is actually having. He should probably read

> Perhaps someone can respond to him and suggest he join the mailing
> list rather than persisting with treating this as a forum using the
> broken BackupCentral mailing-list-to-forum software...

I have no idea where *this* message will land, and I'm disinclined to visit
BackupCentral and check, but your words are quoted, just in case.

> For some (blessed) reason, it appears that BackupCentral does not like
> my emails or maybe discards them as spam :P

If you ever find out the reason, please tell me. I'd hate to switch to VM just
to find out that doesn't solve the issue ;-).

> I really think we should set up an auto-responder to any email originating
> from BackupCentral that denies the post while politely suggesting how to
> join the list...

We could create a fake BackupPC users list and move the subscription to that
one (and redirect incoming messages from BackupCentral). That would solve the
problem, and Curtis Preston could keep his belief that he is saving the world.
It's not likely to happen, sadly. Should it come to a vote this time, I'm
against keeping the forum on the list.

Regards,
Holger