BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-02 10:40:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:32:16 -0500
gregrwm wrote at about 04:24:10 -0600 on Friday, March 1, 2013:
 > i'm using a simple procedure i cooked up to maintain a "third copy" at a
 > third physical location using as little bandwidth as possible.  it simply
 > looks at each pc/*/backups, selects the most recent full and most recent
 > incremental (plus any partial or /new), and copies them across the wire,
 > together with the most recently copied full&incremental set (plus any
 > incompletely copied sets), using rsync, with it's hardlink copying
 > feature.  thus my third location has a copy of the most recent (already
 > compressed) pc/ tree data, using rsync to avoid copying stuff over the wire
 > that's already there (and not bothering with the cpool), which, for me, is
 > a happily sized set of hardlinks that rsync can actually manage (ymmv).  i
 > have successfully used this together with a script to recreate the cpool
 > if/when necessary.  if it's of interest i could share it.

One caution: If one is managing multiple pc's with redundant files across them
(e.g., OS, apps), then you will waste a lot of bandwidth (and time)
copying them since you will lose the pooling. Alternatively, if you
use rsync with the -H flag, then you are back to the problem of rsync
choking on hardlinks.