BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts

2013-01-15 05:57:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:55:51 +1100
On 15/01/13 18:52, elrich wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> first of all thank you for answering me.
> I'm going to use winexe to test it out since the teacher wants us to stop the
> service.
> Whil reading the read me file, I saw that winexe is using the samba protocole.
> Since my windows server isn't in the same network, I'll to go throw the
> internet but I head that samba isn't secured.
> Is using winexe still a good choice? Even if I have to go throw the internet?
>
> Thank you

I do use winexe on remote servers, but only over a openvpn tunnel. This
means samba is only exposed to the VPN rather than the Internet in
general. For a "test" or "project" or even school assignment, you might
expose this to the internet, but don't be surprised if the machine is
compromised by the time you complete the assignment/etc.

PS, actually, if you install every patch as soon as released, and use
decent username/passwords, then you would probably be fine, but I think
(in this forum at least) almost all people would not consider that good
enough security for a real live server.

Regards,
Adam

--