BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM

2011-10-19 17:44:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:42:12 -0700
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM, John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:48:45PM -0700, rbastedo wrote:
> I've recently been given the task of setting up BackupPC to back up
> some of our servers running RHEL and PgSQL.
> Management wants me to back up data to an NFS where it can then be
> saved to tape via DPM for offsite storage.
>
> I have set up a pair of test machines, the BackupPC server is on a
> RHEL 6 box and the target I am backing up is a little CentOS 5 desktop.
> BackupPC is successfully backing up the CentOS machine to it's
>/data/BackupPC TopDir. I've used rsync with ssh2 to perform 2 small backups.

How are you backing up postgres?

 Are you dumping the database (pg_dumpall) and then backing up the
  resulting file with backupc?
 Are you shutting down postgres before doing the backups of the
    data area using backuppc and then restarting after the backup
    is complete?
 Do you have backuppc customized to perform a PITR backup?

If you aren't doing one of these three things your postgres backups
are pretty much worthless and won't be able to be restored.

Given this is your first foray into backups I thought these may be
important things to check.

The vendor who maintains that system does the primary backup to disk so the PostgreSQL backups are done for us and stored on a 'backup' box.
Now the task is to get that backup stored to our tape system that us controlled by DPM.

Today I was given the machine to install RHEL 6.1 on so I can configure our "production" BackupPC installation.
I am just now at the installation phase, and have the screens up asking what kind of installation I want to do (Basic Server, Database Server, Web Server...).
Is there a general walk through for setting this up so that maybe it will work a bit better than my first install?
The first one was on a test machine and I didn't know I wanted Apache or PERL or rsync or any of that stuff.
So I know that I know more now than I did then but I also am aware that I'm not really sure of everything.

I'm just hoping this goes better than the test install.

Once again - the backup is done to disk already, the vendor is liable for the quality of that backup so all I'm tasked at doing is getting a copy of that onto tape for offsite storage.
I can't move it directly to our tape system because DPM is in control of it and apparently doesn't speak Linux.

Rick Bastedo