BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM

2011-10-12 16:33:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:24:57 -0400
rbastedo <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote on 10/12/2011 03:48:45 PM:

> How do I get it to save the backup to the NFS storage out on the
> network instead?

Why not mount an NFS share to TOPDIR?  If BackupPC is already working for you correctly, you should be done!

The thing is, though:  the BackupPC pool on tape by itself is probably *not* what management had in mind when they're asking you to store the backups on a remote server (and remote tape).  I have a feeling you could do exactly what you're describing, yet it would be a failure in the end--and you might not realize this until you try to restore all of this...

Another, likely better, way to get your backed up data onto the NFS server might be to use the Archive feature.  Read the doc:  basically, it automatically creates a tar file of your backups for you.  I (and others) use it to archive to a removable drive for swapping.  It might fit your needs better.

> Also if there's a simpler way of doing all this (using our existing
> infrastructure) I'd like to hear about it.

I would question BackupPC as being the tool for achieving this (or what I think you want).  Are you going to be using the pooling and history capabilities of BackupPC?  Or is that what your DPM sysytem is for?  If not, it's probably overkill as a substitute for tar or rsync directly.  Scripting a simple rsync would probably be substantially simpler and more reliable, with a lot less moving parts.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com