BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Twice weekly Full backup w/ 0 incrementals

2011-10-18 16:30:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Twice weekly Full backup w/ 0 incrementals
From: jcoxen <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:29:15 -0700
"Don't do that. It's a bad idea to change the Wakeup Schedule, and it's a
*very* good idea to have the first WakeupSchedule entry be *outside* of your
backup window. (I suggest 10 A.M., but it doesn't matter as long as it's some
time when the backups will not be running.) The nightly jobs run then, and you
*really* don't want them interfering with your backups-- or vice versa.

You make sure that your backup server does not run backups when you don't want
it to with blackout periods, which you're doing. Messing with the Wakeup
Schedule will have unintended consequences, and won't help you if you properly
configure your blackout periods, anwyay!"

Interesting.  I never changed the WakeupSchedule.  I inherited this system a
couple of year ago when I came on board and haven't really changed anything
since it all has been working.  I familiarized myself with the software and
made sure that I was comfortable with what was happening when, why and how.
I've added systems as we've turned up new servers and deleted them as we've
decommisioned servers.  Beyond that, I've left it pretty much alone.  I'm a big
believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Now we're in the middle of
some fairly significant changes to our infrastructure so I get to mess around
with the server config.

So are you recommending that I go back to the default WakeupSchedule but
rotated around so that it starts at 10?

John