BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NFS woes

2011-04-19 11:49:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NFS woes
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:45:12 -0400
comfi <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote on 04/18/2011 06:57:45 PM:

> I recently fired up BackupPC as a replacement for our convoluted and
> outdated Amanda setup to backup an environment of about 200 servers.
> So far, I have BackupPC version 3.1.0 installed on an Ubuntu 10.04
> system. I'm using this to back up a grand total of three systems: 2
> other Ubuntu machines and the localhost. Everything was running fine
> and dandy when I had all backup data going to local disk. However,
> I'm having massive performance issues after switching to an NFS
> mount for my backup data.

I know this is not what you asked, but I'm going to say it anway:  why are you using an NFS-served datastore for your backup server?

2TB SATA drives are *cheap*, and creating an array of them and directly attaching them to your BackupPC machine is *very* straightforward.  And then you wouldn't have the performance issues of NFS (which exist even when things are *not* broken as they seem to be in your case).

What is the compelling advantage of using the NFS storage?

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com