BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] NFS woes

2011-04-19 12:51:01
Subject: [BackupPC-users] NFS woes
From: comfi <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:49:00 -0700
Thanks for all the responses, guys!

First off, I never meant to indict BackupPC. I've known all along it was an NFS
issue (hence the subject title and the observation that everything runs
perfectly under iSCSI). However, while virtually all backup options will suffer
from whatever transfer rate I'm experiencing, not all of them have GUI
interfaces the way BackupPC does. If I'm stuck with my NFS device and its
problems , there's no way I can put up with navigating through the BackupPC GUI
to perform routine operations. It took me 20 minutes to get a restore going
yesterday because each click took 5 minutes.

I'll perform the tests you guys recommend, although I've done hundreds of NFS
tests of the years and I know what to expect there. This NFS implementation
feels fairly typical, speed-wise. Personally, I agree with some of you who say
something sounds broken. 4.5 minutes to pull up a host summary list of 3
servers, whose cummulative backup size is less than 400MB? That's long enough
to copy the entire contents of the backup pool several times over. I guess what
I'm looking for here is some insight into what BackupPC is doing at that point,
so I can figure out what it is that may be broken. Is it crawling the entire
backup pool for something? Or is it just looking at the config files for all
available hosts?

Or, on a completely attack vector, can all of the BackupPC operations be
performed from a shell?

As for using a different device, a previous backup admin spent a ton of dough
on this Data Domain device, which is supposed to be designed specifically for
storing backups. I'd much rather throw together something different, but the
purse strings are tied fairly tightly for this project.