BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd

2011-04-15 05:47:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd
From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago <mlorenzo AT andago DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:44:58 +0200 (CEST)
Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote [10:57am +0200]

   PH > Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago napsal(a):
   PH > > Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote [10:42am +0200]
   PH > >
   PH > > Interesting approach. But I guess this only works on physical
machines.
   PH > > AFAIK, virtual machines doesn't have "Wakeup On LAN" feature.
   PH >
   PH > That is true, but instead of WOLing you can start the required virtual
   PH > machine. In principle it is the same - check by pinging if the machine
   PH > is running, if not try to start it up (in my case WOL, in your case
   PH > something else), wait a bit, ping again to check if the startup
   PH > succeeded, return the ping result as a result of the whole "superping"
   PH > script.

Efficiency and limited resources forces me to use this approach. A
server with access to NetStorage disks that runs several rsync's
to backup all turned off virtual machine's disks doesn't consume as much
resources as every single virtual machine turned on and running a rsync
process on each one would consume.

Best regards.

--

Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago
System administrator

ÁNDAGO INGENIERÍA
Tlf: +34 916 011 373          Álcalde Ángel Arroyo, 10, 1º
Mvl: +34 637 741 034          28904, Getafe, Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +34 916 011 372               www.andago.com

    While riding in a train between London and Birmingham, a
woman inquired of Oscar Wilde, "You don't mind if I smoke, do
you?"
    Wilde gave her a sidelong glance and replied, "I don't mind
if you burn, madam."