BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd

2011-04-15 04:44:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:42:51 +0200
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago napsal(a):

> I just don't use PingCmd for this particular cases as it is the first
> thing BackupPC runs. So if I turn off the virtual machine BackupPC would
> try to ping the virtual machine and find out it's unreachable so it will
> never begin the backup. And viceversa.

This is how we turn machines on via WOL before backing up:

config.pl:
$Conf{PingPath} = "/etc/backuppc/bin/wolping.sh";

/etc/backuppc/bin/wolping.sh:

#! /bin/bash

PING=/bin/ping
ARG1=$1
ARG2=$2
WAKEHOST=$3

echo "$1 $2 $3" >> /tmp/wolping.log

function fwol {
        TO_WAKEUP=$1
        if /usr/bin/wget -O -
"http://wol.insite.cz/index.php?machine=$TO_WAKEUP"; | grep -q "ERROR" ; then
                echo "WOL failed"
                WOL_RES="FAIL"
        else
                echo "WOL OK"
                WOL_RES="OK"
        fi
}

if ! $PING $ARG1 $ARG2 $WAKEHOST; then
        fwol $WAKEHOST
        if [ "$WOL_RES" = "FAIL" ]; then
                exit 1
        fi
        sleep 5m
        $PING $ARG1 $ARG2 $WAKEHOST || exit 1
fi

exit 0

Where the http://wol.insite.cz service running on our internal network
sends wakeonlan packet to $TO_WAKEUP machine (centralized DNS name - mac
address mapping)

This setup has been working ok for a few years.

Regards,

Pavel.