BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd

2011-04-15 04:53:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Re-read hostname config after DumpPreUserCmd
From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago <mlorenzo AT andago DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:51:13 +0200 (CEST)
Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote [10:42am +0200]

   PH > Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago napsal(a):
   PH > >
   PH > > I just don't use PingCmd for this particular cases as it is the first
   PH > > thing BackupPC runs. So if I turn off the virtual machine BackupPC
would
   PH > > try to ping the virtual machine and find out it's unreachable so it
will
   PH > > never begin the backup. And viceversa.
   PH >
   PH > This is how we turn machines on via WOL before backing up:
   PH >
   PH > config.pl:
   PH > $Conf{PingPath} = "/etc/backuppc/bin/wolping.sh";
   PH > [...]
   PH > This setup has been working ok for a few years.
   PH >
   PH > Regards,
   PH >
   PH > Pavel.
   PH >

Interesting approach. But I guess this only works on physical machines.
AFAIK, virtual machines doesn't have "Wakeup On LAN" feature.

Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago
System administrator
marcos.lorenzo AT andago DOT com

ÁNDAGO INGENIERÍA
Tlf: +34 916 011 373          Álcalde Ángel Arroyo, 10, 1º
Mvl: +34 637 741 034          28904, Getafe, Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +34 916 011 372               www.andago.com

Microsoft Corp., concerned by the growing popularity of the free
32-bit operating system for Intel systems, Linux, has employed a
number of top programmers from the underground world of virus
development. Bill Gates stated yesterday: "World domination,
fast -- it's either us or Linus". Mr. Torvalds was unavailable
for comment ...
(rjm AT swift.eng.ox.ac DOT uk (Robert Manners), in comp.os.linux.setup)