BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore an 8GB archive file?

2011-04-15 03:25:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore an 8GB archive file?
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:23:42 +0200

I don't follow, don't do what??

>> OTOH, ext3 is said to have a max file size limit from about 16GB up to
>> some 2TB, depending on block size.
>
>Several years ago, I worried about file sizes, too. It turned out to "just
>work" even back then. I haven't encountered such limits in years. Then again,
>on relevant file systems I don't tend to use ext3, because it *still* seems to
>have occasional problems with online resizing (admittedly on a Debian etch
>installation; might have gone away since). Huge files seem to go hand in hand
>with online resizing requirements.

I was limited to ext3 on the old backup server, as well as the hosts. The hosts
were installed with CentOS 5.0 a few years back, at which time only ext3 was
available as the most proven and stable file system. We will most probably go
with ext4 when CentOS 6 is released, and we do a full fresh install of
everything.

>Sorin Srbu wrote on 2011-04-14 08:37:54 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How to
>restore  an 8GB archive file?]:
>> [...]

Yes, rsync, I use the default settings. They seem to have worked fine, until now
at least.

RsyncClientCmd:
$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+

RsyncClientRestoreCmd:
$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+

>So let's get back to that topic, if you're still interested.

I am. Would be nice to understand why things went kinda' pear-shaped at first.

Sorry if I spaced out... I find linux, and BPC, somewhat frustrating sometime.
8-/
--
/Sorin