BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore an 8GB archive file?

2011-04-14 02:49:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore an 8GB archive file?
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:47:12 +0200

When the "backuppc" user connects to a host to do a backup, it uses a
passwordless login with ssh keys. The password entered the very first time I
transferred the key, was root's. So does this mean it's user "backuppc" that
does the actual restore or user "root"? If the first, then I can understand that
the user backuppc can't write to anywhere, right?

>Personally, I wouldn't use the web interface for downloading large amounts of
>data anyway. On the command line, your imagination is the limit to what you
>can do. If it's not available as a filter yet, "the BPC-author" would likely
>need to implement the functionality. A generic tar2zipsplit filter would be
>more useful to the world than a specific implementation inside BackupPC,
>don't you think?

Dunno', I only ever use the web gui, as it's so easy, practical and
straight-forward to use. Actually it's the main reason why I stick with BPC;
IMHO a backup-system is as good as the gui is and how admin-friendly it is.
Personally I don't want to jump through hoops when I need to restore stuff
quickly - a few clicks in the gui and I'm done. As I said, it's my personal
opinions and maybe not really on-topic. 8-)
--
/Sorin