BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup stalls - exiting after signal ALRM

2011-04-13 20:26:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup stalls - exiting after signal ALRM
From: Manu Poletti <manu.poletti AT dieselgas.co DOT nz>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:24:25 +1200
We use BackupPC on Ubuntu Hardy to backup a number of Windows XP hosts
using smb.  It has worked faultlessly for at last 2 years; until a week
ago when the hosts stopped being backed up. Now none except localhost
that uses the tar transfer method work.

When A backup runs it seems to stall very soon (a few seconds) after it
starts. Some files are copied to the temporary directory at
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/[hostname]/new/   but the pid's show no CPU
activity after this. The backup seems to stop on a random file each
time, and using windows "Computer Management" on the host I can see that
the server has that one file open. After this BackupPC will just sit
there doing nothing until the ClientTimeout is exceeded (20 hours). Then
the backup exits with an error reported in the XferLOG "exiting after
signal ALRM".

I have tried running the smbclient command manually like this:

sudo -u backuppc /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\[hostName]\\wk -U [userName] -N
-d 10 -c tarmode\ full -Tc backup.tar

This works so I assume its not the smb transport. But after that I am
stuck. Any suggestions?

Manu.