BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup stalls - exiting after signal ALRM

2011-04-18 20:06:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup stalls - exiting after signal ALRM
From: Manu Poletti <manu.poletti AT dieselgas.co DOT nz>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:03:08 +1200
Thanks Carl, This was good advice. I tried a number of your approaches
like a manual dump and using rsyncd and even set up a new data directory
for Backuppc to eliminate filesystem corruption, but nothing worked.
Then I did a manual dump as you suggested again but this time I used the
IP address of the host rather then the host name and it worked!

It turned out that by changing the order of my host resolution in samba
config I could resolve the problem. I now use: "name resolve order =
wins lmhosts host bcast". Originally I had 'host' and 'wins' round the
other way. I do not know for sure what the mechanism for the failure was
but I think that it could have been a name resolution time out as I
noticed that name resolution for samba hosts is now much faster.

Thanks for your help again.
Manu.