BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Making errors in log stand out

2011-04-13 19:03:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Making errors in log stand out
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:02:59 +0200
Hi,

Sorin Srbu wrote on 2011-04-06 16:11:55 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Making
errors in log stand out]:
> [...]
> Thanks Bowie. Seemed to have done the trick, but I don't see anything red
> in the logs. 8-/ Checked all logs, the machine specific as well as the
> general summary log.

the log files are conceptually ASCII, not HTML. You can't really get colour in
there. You *could* make the code that displays the log file contents on the
web page parse the log file and highlight anything you want (similar to the
ability to "extract only errors"). That's definitely more complicated than
adding a HTML tag somewhere, though.
You could probably put HTML tags in the text log files, but I'd expect the
<> characters to be quoted by the displaying code, so aside from looking ugly
in the log files when viewed as text, it would probably look just as ugly on
the web page rather than work ;-).

Regards,
Holger