BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] excluding files

2011-04-04 13:34:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] excluding files
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:34:16 +0200
Hi,

Bowie Bailey wrote on 2011-04-04 11:36:18 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] excluding
files]:
> On 4/3/2011 5:59 PM, Scott wrote:
> > [...]
> > In the web interface I added an entry for:  *.MPG
> > [...]
>
> You probably just put the entry in the wrong place.
> [...]
> [...] followed by your "*.MPG" exclusion.

you *may* also need to think about your XferMethod, because excludes are,
in general, handled by the XferMethod and thus subject to its syntax
specifications. Your simple "*.MPG" should probably work for all methods -
presuming they see your file names in upper case - but it wouldn't hurt to
mention what XferMethod you are using if your problems persist after checking
your exclude definitions. You should then also attach a copy of your host
config file, preferably as attachment of the original file and not cut&paste
from the web interface ;-).

All of that said, I personally dislike exclusions like "*.mpg", because there
is no way for the user to override them for single files that should be backed
up. Similarly, you only exclude things you expect, missing "music.mph" (typo)
or "music.mpg.bak" (copy) or "music.mp3" (different common naming scheme
(there is no such thing as an "extension", except, maybe, under Windoze, but
there shouldn't be even there ;-)).
If you can express your exclude as a directory ("My Music"?), you might need
to figure out space quoting issues, but you might be able to avoid the issues
above. Then again, all of that may not apply to your situation. Just something
to think about.

Regards,
Holger