BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?

2011-04-04 13:15:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:14:27 +0200
Hi,

Tyler J. Wagner wrote on 2011-04-04 15:54:00 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Viewing detail of a backup in progress?]:
> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 09:41 -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat XferLOG.z |tail
>
> Note that the the log files, like XferLOG.z, are buffered. They may not
> show files currently copying, if the log write buffer hasn't filled.

in particular, they are compressed, so the end of the file is in my experience
usually a considerable amount behind the file currently copying. This is also
the reason you can't simply "switch off buffering" for the log files
(compression needs reasonably sized chunks to operate on for efficient
results). It might make sense to think about (optionally) writing log files
uncompressed and compressing them after the backup has finished. Wanting to
follow backup progress seems to be a frequent enough requirement. Putting the
log files on a disk separate from the pool FS should probably be encouraged in
this case ;-).

Regards,
Holger