BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS over NFS

2011-04-04 00:37:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS over NFS
From: Peter Lavender <plaven AT internode.on DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:35:16 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Googling around implies this should be possible, however I'm not sure where to go next.

My setup is as follows:

Linux Server ( old desktop PC ) with a NFS mounted filesystem pointing to the NAS which has all the storage space.

The server itself doesn't have much free disk space, so I want to have everything on the NAS where I can.

The server is debian, and I installed backuppc using apt, info about the server from the web page:

The servers PID is 15721, on host rabbit, version 3.1.0, started at 4/4 13:49.

The NAS is a Thecus N4200, it has a 4disk RAID.

I have created backuppc on the "root" of the NAS.  I have set permissions for NFS that effectively is a root_squash, ie guest maps to root user.  I have also created a user backuppc with a userid of 1117 and I have created the same userid on the server, this allows mapping of both accounts more cleanly.

With the default settings I've basically tried to kick off a full backup of "localhost" and constantly see this error:

2011-04-04 14:00:01 localhost: test hardlink between /mnt/nas/backuppc/pc/localhost and /mnt/nas/backuppc/cpool failed

and this is the logfile for localhost:
2011-04-04 14:00:01 Can't create a test hardlink between a file in /mnt/nas/backuppc/pc/localhost and /mnt/nas/backuppc/cpool.  Either these are different file systems, or this file system doesn't support hardlinks, or these directories don't exist, or there is a permissions problem, or the file system is out of inodes or full.  Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check each of these possibilities. Quitting..

The NAS itself is rather limiting in what you can and can't do in that it's all done via their web interface and you can't really get to things like the filesystem, I guess it's a "we know you don't know what you are doing" sort of setup.

Given this, does it mean that I can't use the NAS to backup up over NFS?

Many thanks,

Peter.