BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?

2011-04-04 10:43:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:41:51 -0500
On 04/03 05:56 , Scott wrote:
> Is it possible/how to view details on a backup in progress - for example, it
> would be great to see what file it is backing up, how many/how big the
> backup is so far.  Totals would be nice, like 100 files totaling 200MB
> backed up out of 500 files totaling 2GB.
>
> I have a slow backup and I have no idea how far along it is.

go to /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<hostname>
and type 'ls -lart' to see which files have changed most recently.
If XferLOG.z has been updated recently (which it should have, if your backup
has been transferring files), you can run this command to see what file it's
on.

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat XferLOG.z |tail

Might be cool if the next BackupPC version could include the output of this
in the web interface somewhere.

(If you're lazy like me you'll have 'ls -lart --color' aliased to 'lart'
because you use it a lot).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator