BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?

2011-04-18 12:38:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Viewing detail of a backup in progress?
From: Jake Wilson <jake.wilson AT answeron DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:35:49 -0600
Determine how far along the backup is in terms of % would require some sort of total size determination before the backup begins.  I'm not sure if this is something BPC does already on the backend or not.  At least keeping track of how many kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes have been xfered so far and making that readily displayed in the web interface would be very nice.  It doesn't have to be super precise.

Jake Wilson

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM, John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:01:06AM +0930, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > Is it possible/how to view details on a backup in progress - for
> > example, it would be great to see what file it is backing up, how
> > many/how big the backup is so far.  Totals would be nice, like 100
> > files totaling 200MB backed up out of 500 files totaling 2GB.
> >
> > I have a slow backup and I have no idea how far along it is.
>
> I don't any suggestions on measuring % completion or throughput, but
> if you are using rsync on an OS that has strace available, you can do
> something like:
>   # strace -fp `pidof rsync` -e open
>   [..]
>   open("usr/lib/chromium-browser/xdg-mime", O_RDONLY) = 3
>   open("usr/lib/chromium-browser/xdg-settings", O_RDONLY) = 3
>   open("usr/lib/cli/Mono.Addins-0.2/Mono.Addins.dll", O_RDONLY) = 3
>   [..]
>
> on the host you are backing up.
>
> You can do something similar on the backuppc server but you'll see
> I/O activity on the file pool path, which may or may not be of use to you.

Also lsof -p <rsync pid> can show you which files are open. Similarly
for the server on the backuppc system.

--
                               -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111