BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 14:31:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:29:57 -0500
Michael Conner wrote at about 12:55:58 -0600 on Thursday, March 10, 2011:
 > Thanks to all who replied. You all basically confirmed my feeling that using
 > our web server as the backup server was not best practice. I just hoped we
 > might get by without buying another computer, even though it wouldn't need
 > to be a very expensive one. The only spare computer we have now is an old XP
 > box with some type of Celeron processor. Maybe I'll use that to set up a
 > test system, then get a better one for production.

One doesn't need a very powerful processor unless one is backing up
large numbers of machines and huge filesystems. The key limitation is
typically network bandwidth first, disk I/O speed second, RAM third,
and CPU only 4th. In fact CPU is really only used for
compression/decompression (and ssh encryption/decryption if using
rsync). Even a celeron CPU should be faster than you network bandwidth
or disk I/O unless again you have things like a high-end SAN and RAID
system and multiple gigE connections.

On the other extreme, I have successfully tested running BackupPC to
backup up my home office server and about half dozen pc's using a SOHO
NAS with 64 MB RAM and an 800MHz Arm CPU. I also all of the time run a
second instance of BackupPC on a plugcomputer with a 1.2GHz Arm CPU,
512MB DRAM and an external USB hard drive -- that works quite well for
me even.

Of course, at certain scales you need more, but you may be surprised
to find that a celeron box with a RAID1 pair of drives may be good
enough for you seemingly small installation.