BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 10:01:14
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: Michael Conner <mdc1952 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:59:35 -0600
I'm looking at BackupPC and other options for a network-wide backup system in
the museum where I work. We have about 10 Windows computers, one OS X, one web
server running CENTOS 5.5, and an NAS (and may be adding another). Note that my
Linux knowledge is still limited but growing as I look at more open source
stuff.

I've been reading the documentation and various other things on the web, and
one basic question I'm unsure about is whether it is possible or advisable to
run BPC on the web server. Is this even possible given the Apache needs of BPC?
It does seem that the program would work best on dedicated computer, and then
copy or archive the backups to another disk or NAS for safety. But since we
currently only have one Linux machine (which is 64 bit and has open slots for
additional drives), I was wondering if it could be used, perhaps by limiting
access of the cgi scripts to localhost or network ip addresses. Also, if it is
run on the server, can it backup parts of the file system on the server? For
example, backup /var/www/html to its pool.

Thanks for any help.

Mike