BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 10:12:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:10:34 -0600
> I'm looking at BackupPC and other options for a network-wide backup system
> in the museum where I work. We have about 10 Windows computers, one OS X,
> one web server running CENTOS 5.5, and an NAS (and may be adding another).
> Note that my Linux knowledge is still limited but growing as I look at
> more open source stuff.
>
> I've been reading the documentation and various other things on the web,
> and one basic question I'm unsure about is whether it is possible or
> advisable to run BPC on the web server. Is this even possible given the
> Apache needs of BPC? It does seem that the program would work best on
> dedicated computer, and then copy or archive the backups to another disk
> or NAS for safety. But since we currently only have one Linux machine
> (which is 64 bit and has open slots for additional drives), I was
> wondering if it could be used, perhaps by limiting access of the cgi
> scripts to localhost or network ip addresses. Also, if it is run on the
> server, can it backup parts of the file system on the server? For example,
> backup /var/www/html to its pool.

Yes.

Apache can have per-directory and per-virtual controls.  Having all the
backups on an externally-facing web server is a really bad idea only from
a security standpoint -- since a compromised server would essentially
provide access to every file everywhere as well as authentication
information for every machine (depending on how you set it up.)  If it's
an internal server, there's not a whole lot of worry, then.

Backing up the server from the same server guards against everything but
complete loss of the server (obviously) so if you're concerned at all
about losing the web server, you probably want to also consider archiving
your backups at the very least.