BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Huge remote directory (20GB): how will it be transferred?

2010-11-09 13:20:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Huge remote directory (20GB): how will it be transferred?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:18:40 -0600
On 11/9/2010 9:10 AM, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello Les.
>
>> An rsync full should be marked as a 'partial' with the
>> completed portion merged into the previous full as the
>> comparison base when it restarts.  I think an incomplete
>> incremental is discarded.  I'd bump up the timeout and add a -C
>> (compress) option to your ssh command if you haven't already,
>> and if it is trying an incremental, force a full run at the
>> first opportunity.
>
> This is my actual status of this host's backups:
> 474   full    yes     0       10/14 21:04     885.3   25.8
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/polti/474
> 475   incr    no      1       10/17 21:00     1115.6  22.8
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/polti/475
> 476   incr    no      1       10/19 21:00     534.6   20.8
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/polti/476
> 477   partial         yes     0       10/29 21:00     2504.5  10.8
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/polti/477
>
> Yesterday I manually run an incremental backup, which now stopped with
> "backup failed (aborted by signal=ALRM)".
>
> My SSH is configured as follows:
>
> /var/lib/backuppc/tunnel.sh -fC administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L
> 8875:127.0.0.1:873 sleep 20
>
> Where tunnel.sh is:
>
> ssh $@ 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null&&  echo "SSH started successfully."
>
> So I have to force a full, now?

Yes, and I'd also change the ClientTimeout to something much larger.  It
is supposed to be the idle time permitted before the connection is
assumed to be broken, but under at least some circumstances it doesn't
get reset by activity and turns out to be the limit for the entire
connection.  At least when doing a full you should save the files that
were transferred if the run doesn't complete.