BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Huge remote directory (20GB): how will it be transferred?

2010-11-09 10:43:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Huge remote directory (20GB): how will it be transferred?
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:40:38 -0800
On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:37:01AM -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Robin Lee Powell
> <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:11:15PM +0100, Boniforti Flavio
> > wrote:
> >> Hello Pavel.

> >> How would I be able to use tar over a remote DSL connection?
> >
> > Well, by hand you'd do:
> >
> > ssh host 'tar -czvf - /dir' >/backups/foo.tgz
> >
> > BackupPC's tar method seems to be over ssh by default; just set
> > up a passwordless root key and you should be fine.
> >
> > 20GB over DSL is going to take many days, though, no matter what
> > you do.
> >
> > Note that once the initial backup is run you almost certainly do
> > *not* want tar transport, as this implies copying the entire
> > 20GB on every full.
>
> Popping into this conversation with a couple of questions....
>
> 1. Can you switch methods without consequence? In other words can
> you switch back and forth without any side effects?

I've not tried, but knowing the internals as I unfortunately do, I'd
be *very* surprised if there were any consequences.

> 2. Does the timeout apply if you run the backup command from the
> cli?

How do you mean "run from the CLI"?.  If it goes through the
BackupPC server, the timeout applies.

> Is it easy to remove or override the timeout from the command
> line?

I doubt it.  Easy enough to temporarily override it in the host's
config file.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.