BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem corruption: consistency of the pool

2010-11-03 16:58:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem corruption: consistency of the pool
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 15:56:32 -0500
On 11/3/2010 2:26 PM, martin f krafft wrote:

>> I'd run new full backups as soon as practical. That will at least
>> fix up anything missing in the latest run which is usually the
>> most important.
>
> Yeah, that's surely a good idea. I was wondering mostly about
> cleanup actually.
>
> I assume BackupPC_nightly removes everything from the pool with
> a link count == 1. Hence, the worst that could happen is that all
> previous backups would be rendered invalid, no?

Yes, anything that is not linked by a current backup will be removed in
the nightly runs.  The more subtle problem is that the corruption may
have overwritten the contents of existing files - but I'm pretty sure
that a full run will detect any content differences and fix things up.
There would be a chance that it would miss something if blocks in the
middle of a file changed and you are using the --checksum-seed option
with rsync, though.  In that case it would use the cached checksums
appended to the files instead of verifying all the way through.