BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] more efficient: dump archives over the internet or copy the whole pool?

2010-11-03 12:09:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] more efficient: dump archives over the internet or copy the whole pool?
From: gregwm <backuppc-users AT whitleymott DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:06:54 -0500
to copy my backuppc volume offsite i wrote a script to pick (from <backupvolume>/pc/*/backups) the 2 most recent incremental and the 2 most recent full backups from each backup set and rsync all that to the remote site.  i'm ignoring (c)pool but the hardlinks still apply amongst the selected backups.  you could do something similar to feed tar.

fwiw my main motivation for this was due to rsync's consumption of memory related to the number of hardlinks it needs to process.  rsync was thrashing forever until i trimmed down to only recent backups, thereby vastly reducing the amount of ram/swap rsync required to grapple with all those hardlinks.  more recently, ironically, i've been using "storebackup" to transfer my backuppc data, as apparently storebackup is far more efficient with hardlinks than rsync.