BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] more efficient: dump archives over the internet or copy the whole pool?

2010-11-03 10:46:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] more efficient: dump archives over the internet or copy the whole pool?
From: gregwm <backuppc-users AT whitleymott DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:44:00 -0500
> ...saving to an Amazon s3 share...
> ..."So you have a nice
> non-redundant repo, and you want to make it redundant before you push it
> over the net??? Talk sense man!"
>
> The main question:
> ==============
> He thinks it would be more bandwidth-efficient to tar up and encrypt the
> pool, which accounts for duplicate files and so forth, and send that over to
> s3.  I counter that the pool will contain data concerning the last 2 weeks
> or so of changes, which I'm not interested in for the purposes of disaster
> recovery, and that transferring over that extra data is less efficient.
>  Who's right?  And if it's my colleague, which folders should I be
> interested in?  It looks to me like cpool, log, and pc...

to copy my backuppc volume offsite i wrote a script to pick (from
<backupvolume>/pc/*/backups) the 2 most recent incremental and the 2
most recent full backups from each backup set and rsync all that to
the remote site.  i'm ignoring (c)pool but the hardlinks still apply
amongst the selected backups.  you could do something similar to feed
tar.