BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving BackupPC

2010-11-03 11:58:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving BackupPC
From: Rob Poe <rob AT poeweb DOT com>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:57:13 -0500
I used a udev rule (Centos 5) to automatically mount (once) the USB
drive, and then a script that runs via Cron to check and see if a USB
drive is mounted.  Then it uses rsync to sync /var/lib/BackuPC to the
USB drive, runs a sync, then umounts the backup partition (thus
preventing the script from running until the drive is removed and
re-plugged).  It also uses the command line mail command to email the
person responsible for changing out the drives to know that the backup ran.

This way the client can take a USB drive off-site and into a fire-safe
at their other locations (two locations, two servers, four USB drives to
swap back and forth).