BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yum to Tar

2010-10-17 15:40:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yum to Tar
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:38:22 -0400
Timothy,

Its really fairly simple to set up an rpm build environment. First, you need a .rpmmacros that will live in your home directory. Say, for example, your home directory is in /home/tomer, your .rpmmacros file would look like:

%_topdir /home/tomer/rpm
%_tmppath /var/tmp
#%debug_package %{nil}

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Its pretty basic, but should get the rpm build done.

Next, you need to create the following directory tree:

/home/tomer
       -> rpm
               -> BUILD
               -> RPMS
               -> SOURCES
               -> SPECS
               -> SRPMS

Next, get the srpm of backuppc-3.1.0 and install it. It should install to the /home/tomer/rpm tree (e.g. the tarball in SOURCES and the spec file in SPECS).

Place the tarball for backuppc-3.2.0 into SOURCES.

Edit the backuppc spec file, pointing the source filename to the 3.2.0 file you just copied to SOURCES. Also make sure you remove the files from the %files section near the bottom. We will be filling this back in later.

Once you are confident you have the spec file in decent shape, you want to run rpmbuild. I do it in stages, taking each section individually. Do not proceed to the next step until the current one completes error free:

rpmbuild -bp backuppc.spec - this will run the %prep section
rpmbuild -bc backuppc.spec - this will run the %prep and %build section
rpmbuild -bi backuppc.spec - this will run the %prep, %build and %install section

At this point, there will be a list of files that are not included in the spec file. Cut and paste these into the %files section of the spec file, then run the rpmbuild -bi again. You should come out with no errors.

rpmbuild -ba backuppc.spec - this will run the complete build, generate .rpm and .srpm files. You can then install the rpm from /home/tomer/rpm/RPMS/<arch>, or copy it to your backuppc box and install it there.

The instructions are pretty generic, but should point you in the right direction. I am a Debian guy, but have done the odd rpm in my day. :)

HTH,
--b