BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yum to Tar

2010-10-15 20:15:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yum to Tar
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:12:53 -0400
I build a native package for a couple of reasons:

  • So that the package data base stays up to date, and you don't accidentally install a conflicting package down the road that might break ;
  • so that the package manager tells me before I try to build if I am missing anything.
Building an rpm shouldn't be that bad, especially if you can modify the spec file from the existing version. Then its a matter of letting rpmbuild do all the heavy lifting. However, I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I can't tell you about the tar build, since I built a deb for the new version until the Debian package maintainer brought out an official one.