BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Two NICs In One Client

2010-10-17 13:42:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Two NICs In One Client
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: PaulC AT TBSC DOT ge, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:40:44 +0100
Good luck, Paul. However, a stock BIND install on the server won't make
it capable of looking up your local hostnames. It has to be tied in some
way to DHCP for that.

One last, perhaps easiest alternative: use MDNS (Avahi / Zeroconf /
Bonjour). Then just use "hostname.local" for your BackupPC target
addresses. Zeroconf is easily installed on Windows PCs, and already
comes installed on Macs and Linux.

Regards,
Tyler

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 08:22 +0400, Paul R. Clark wrote:
> Thank you to Kris and Tyler for your suggestions.
>

> Both of you suggested using a DNS server rather than the hosts file.
> In fact, I had already set up BIND DNS on the server (mostly properly
> I believe), so I merely removed all the references to the laptops from
> the hosts file without making any changes.
>

> Next week when all the laptops are back in the office I will test that
> all works as planned.
>

> Paul

"Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from
others."
   -- "The Robustness Principle", or Postel's Law, from RFC 793