BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] RE: Best way to backup on remote dynamic IPs

2010-10-15 21:05:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] RE: Best way to backup on remote dynamic IPs
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:03:02 -0400
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 04:58:50PM +0200, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello Rob and thanks for your reply.
>
> > I use a setup similar to yours and I've never had any
> > problems.  I use www.dyndns.com and ddclient software (all my
> > boxes are Linux).
>
> I've 99% Windows 2003 Servers.
> I'm used to configure DDNS on DSL routers instead of computers.
>
> With one machine running ddclient, I don't have *periodic* updates
> (which leads to get email notifications about "your account is about to
> expire): how do you treat this issue?

I always found that the "use=" line that Debian sets up didn't work for
me.  I always use "use=web".  Here is my ddclient.conf file:

pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=dyndns2
use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org/, web-skip='IP Address' # found after IP
Address
server=members.dyndns.org
login=mylogin
password='mypassword'
mydns.dyndns.com

I never get "your account is about to expire" messages, so everything
seems to be working as it should.

-Rob