BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.

2010-10-15 04:15:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.
From: James Wells <James.Wells AT webcertain DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:57:52 +0100
I find that BackupPC is good for general data retention, but bad for bare metal
restores where you have to reinstall the OS first and then get data back on
there. (ok, on linux you can essentially backup + restore the whole OS if you
want to).

It really depends though - if you have very fast links to your servers, it
wouldn't be such a hassle, I'm quite limited by being on 2mb ADSL here, doesn't
give great restore speeds.

My long term plan is to use something else for the bare metal recovery, and use
backuppc for easy restoration of files that users delete etc, as well as being
an emergency backup should the other method fail.

James Wells
Systems Administrator

t:  +44 (0) 1904 780030
w: www.webcertain.com
WebCertain Group Limited - Company No. 06721395