BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.

2010-10-15 04:51:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:49:03 +0100
On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 23:20 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:55:41AM -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> > One concern I've always had with backuppc is what would happen if
> > i had a disaster and had to restore everything from backuppc.
> >
> > It would take absolutely forever to do this, because backuppc has
> > to seek the disks so much (due to the effects of all those hard
> > links).
>
> I don't know of anything that would be faster, though.

In fact, BackupPC only has to make two seeks for each file - once for
the metadata, and once for the file itself (the hard link). Hard links
do not increase the number of disk seeks. You think that because the
BackupPC_link and nightly processes are so intensive, but that's a
different problem.

I've done bare metal restores. They are almost as fast as rsync from a
native copy.

Tyler

--
"... that your voice is amplified to the degree where it reaches from
one end of the country to the other does not confer upon you greater