BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes

2010-06-30 14:49:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:47:16 +0000
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 02:13:11PM -0400, Norbert Hoeller wrote:
> The high backuppc data volumes appear to be a problem with File::RsyncP on
> the Ubuntu port to the ARM architecture.

Well perhaps not. I posted an earlier email where I am tranferring a
lot of file data for old files that are in prior level 0 backups and
are in the cpool.

So far debugging seems to have ruled out corrupted cpool copy of file
(zcat of the file has same sha1 checksum as the file on the client).

In my case we have 32 and 64 bit linux intel/amd systems.

> I have created a small test
> script that calls File:RsyncP to copy files from one directory to another
> on the same system. [...]
> On Linux/ARM, a large number of the blocks are flagged as
> different even though the files themselves are identical.  As a result,
> 7.5MB of the file data is transferred.
>
> I have send the results of the test to Craig Barratt and also posted to
> the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list.

Hopefully this exploration will also fix some bug that may be
impacting me as well with a real rsync and File::RsyncP.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111