BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes

2010-06-12 11:12:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes
From: "Norbert Hoeller" <nhoeller AT sinet DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:54:41 -0400
I have been using backuppc 2.1.2 for a number of years to back up a Linux web server (rsync 2.6.9) to a local server (also running rsync 2.6.9).  My recollection was that the amount of data transferred by backuppc was quite low (around 40MB) regardless of whether I was doing a full backup or an incremental backup.

In late February, I built a new backup server running backuppc 3.1.0 and rsync 3.0.5.  Over the last month, I have been migrating the Linux web server from a shared hosting environment to a virtual private server running rsync 2.6.8.  I recently have been tracking bandwidth due to ISP caps.  This morning's backups appear to have download about 230MB to the local server and uploaded about 10MB.

Going over the logs, I see 4 incremental backups totalling 116 existing files (3MB) and 207 new files (24MB).  I started one full backup on the old shared hosting server that failed after 18 minutes with "Aborting backup up after signal PIPE".  A partial dump was saved.  Another attempt was made the next hour and completed after 4 minutes with 1752 existing files (123MB) and 7 new files (6MB).

Clearly, a lot of things have changed, including a large increase in the number of system files that backuppc needs to check.  How much of the 240MB of backup traffic could be attributed to transferring control information?  My reading the documentation suggests that rsync only transfers changed blocks even on a full backup, so that data portion of the backup should be at most 30GB.    Could the mismatch in rsync levels be causing issues?  The VPS server that I am backing up is running CentOS and 2.6.8 is the most current rsync available on the standard repositories.

     Thanks, Norbert