BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for Windows and ESXi best practices

2010-06-28 19:28:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for Windows and ESXi best practices
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:26:53 +0100
Hi

> > Windows, OTOH, is a completely new animal for me. Can anyone give me
> > some best practices on what to back up on a Windows VM? Or would it
> > be better to just back up the VM lock, stock and snapshot? The VM is
> > running on VMware ESXi 4.0, so I am still learning how snapshots and
> > what not work.

        For plain window machine, i use the backup+rsync server+VSS:

http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62

        as the windows disk are in a snapshot state due to the VSS,
you can copy everything. To restore, install a windows, boot from
knoppix or something and rsync everything back. *Please note* that
metadata, permissions and probably more things are lost, because
rsync is unable to save this info (there is a app/script to store
the permissions/acl to a file in the net).

i still didnt test this restore, but should work...famous last
words, right ;)

i just do full backup on 2 machines, all others i just backup the
c:\Users and any special work dir... people have too much junk
installed (i use backuppc only for workstations, not servers)

the only problem that i'm having is that i have about 3 machines
that the VSS fail and i suspect that is because they are
win64 machines, but i have to debug it a little more when i
have more free time.

        For ESX, i read wonders about this script:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

        i don't use it, but i plan to test it.

        Backing up full VMs requires alot of space, usually
backing up the machine file system you can use the backuppc
deduplication, where in the VM backup it will be useless (the
backuppc deduplication is file bases, for deduplicate VMs you
need block level deduplication)... on the other hand, restores
are plain easy with backup of the VMs

have fun!
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a