BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC for Windows and ESXi best practices

2010-06-26 11:36:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for Windows and ESXi best practices
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:34:06 -0400
Hey folks,

I've been using BackupPC to back up my network for something like 4 years. I am quite comfortable with that part. This query is more general. All of the machines on my network are Linux, so my experience is very...one sided.

When I back up a Linux box, my goal is to preserve not only the unique data such as /home, but enough of the OS so that I can do a base install (in my case, Debian), grab and install the original package list, and restore from backups...A process which takes, say, an hour from start to finish for a VM.

Windows, OTOH, is a completely new animal for me. Can anyone give me some best practices on what to back up on a Windows VM? Or would it be better to just back up the VM lock, stock and snapshot? The VM is running on VMware ESXi 4.0, so I am still learning how snapshots and what not work.

What are the best practices for Windows (and VMware ESXi) backups?

Thanks,
--b