BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] risk of data-store corruption

2010-06-21 13:23:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] risk of data-store corruption
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:21:13 -0500
On 6/20/2010 11:56 AM, Lorenzo Franceschini wrote:
> Hi, I'm a newbie, but already very satisfied, BackupPC user.
>
> I have a question: what happens if the BackupPC server is shut down
> (either intentionally or, for example, by a power failure) in the middlle of
> an operation (dump, link, ecc.) ? Is there a risk that the data-store
> get corrupted ? Or the server has a buit-in mechanism to recover
> from this kind of situations ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer.

As far as backuppc itself is concerned, the backup just isn't complete
and if it was a full rsync-type it will try to re-use what it got on the
next attempt.   On the other hand, the filesystem itself can be
corrupted and different OS's and filesystems have different ways to
protect against that and to recover if it does happen.