BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Full Backups, Incrementals and Filling In

2010-06-20 19:43:20
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Full Backups, Incrementals and Filling In
From: Mike Kallies <mike.kallies AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:41:34 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I've been using BackupPC in production and at home enviornments for the
past couple years.  It's a great program, but I'll add that it takes a
while to get the hang of how it does things.

So here's my question.  Is it necessary to take a full backup at a
regular interval?  I mean, can't BackupPC fill-in the incrementals to
simulate a "full" then do a superficial compare of the backup directory
tree against the client's directory tree (e.g., compare the
date/time/size/attributes)?  Sort of "flattening" an incremental?

I want to do this because I'm currently setting up BackupPC to use rsync
to keep backups of hosted website.  By default, my backup policy is
going to take a "full" backup every week.  This is going to transfer 1GB
of data every week... that's not ideal.  The web host isn't going to
like me, and it shouldn't be necessary for me to transfer that much data.

I can think of other ways to rework the posting and backups of the
website which would get around the backup issue, but it would introduce
different workflow problems.

I would think that once I've done one full-backup, I should *never* have
to do a full backup again... is this possible?

Thanks,

-Mike