BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backuppc - archive without using tar

2010-06-06 16:00:28
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc - archive without using tar
From: Paso <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:58:10 -0400
Hi Richard,

thanks for your reply and your valuable advice.
I testet your shell command several times last night and it worked perfectly
for me. Files are restored to my mounted eSATA-HD without any problems.
Existing files get overwritten automatically which is also a nice feature to
me. Otherwise I would have to delete the whole eSATA-HD first before taking a
new complete BackupPC-snapshot onto it.

Unfortunately, I now found out about two other problems with BackupPC which
make it almost unusable to me:
         A restore of files > 2 GB is impossible over SAMBA (no LFS-Support
with smbclient)

         Backing up my both NAS-devices (1TB each, ARM-CPU, Linux) via Rsyncd
over network is far too slow to use. (ca. 2,5 MB/s)
That means a single 10GB-file takes more than 1 hour to get copied to my
BackupPC-server.

BackupPC is really a nice software but these both issues make it inappropriate
for my use-cases.

Thanks again. :-)

Greetings,
Torsten