BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc - archive without using tar

2010-06-01 12:42:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc - archive without using tar
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:40:45 -0500
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Paso <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> actually I use Backuppc to backup several Windows- and Linux-Hosts on my
> local network which works quite well. Now I'm planning to store snapshots of
> several hosts data outside my house for security reasons.
> That means: I'd like to copy the recent data-snapshot of a backuppc-host to
> external harddisks (using them like 'removable media').
> The archive-mode of Backuppc works with tar-files but I rather want to save
> the original files without taring them first in order to keep random access
> to each file on the external disk.
>
> Has anybody an idea how to manage this with backuppc?
>
> Thanks for a quick reply.

I assume you still want your traditional backups but just want
additional offsite backup as well?

I think you want to use BackupPC_tarCreate[1]. It will create a tar
archive but it sends it to stdout, so you can redirect it to tar. I'm
not a shell expert so make sure this is correct, but something like
this might work:

su -c backuppc '<path_to_BackupPC>/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h <host> -n
<dump_num> -s <share> -p <path> | tar xv -'

where:
  <host> host to dump
  <dump_num> is the backup to dump, use -1 for the latest.
  <share> the share to dump
  <path> The path to prepend to the root of the backup (didn't work
for me but I don't know what it expects)

It worked for me and put the files in the directory I ran the command
from. Tar had an error but I think it was trying to do something to
the special directory "." Also, make sure the user backuppc has write
access to the directory.

Richard

[1]
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#commandline_restore_options