BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restore file attributes

2010-06-01 12:51:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restore file attributes
From: Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala AT sgala DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:49:30 +0200
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:56:00PM +0200, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> do you know if there are ways to restore file attributes (uid/gid,
> permissions) fetching file attributes from BackupPC?
I will reply to myself...I hope that this will be useful for someone
else ...

First export a list of the files on the backup:
# /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h $hostname -n 1 -s "/" -L  >
backup.list

it will return in the output file some like this:
100755       0/0       26860 ./bin/cat
100755       0/0       45344 ./bin/chgrp

create this script file "parse_perms.py":
#!/usr/bin/python
import sys, re
while 1:
  dati = sys.stdin.readline()
  if dati == "": break
  dati = re.findall("([^ ]+)", dati)
  bits = dati[0][-4:]
  uidgroup = (dati[1]).replace("/",".")
  path = dati[3].replace("\n","")
  print "chmod %s %s" % (bits, path)
  print "chown %s %s" % (uidgroup, path)

afterthat parse the "backup.list" with that script:

# cat backup.list | python parse_perms.py > commands.sh

now in commands.sh you will have all chmod/chown commands ready to be executed
on the target server and restore all permissions as was on the backup snapshot.

M.