BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion for enhancement

2010-04-27 19:47:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] suggestion for enhancement
From: chitowner watertower <chitowner2053 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:44:35 -0500
Yup, that looks really handy, but it probably doesn't give an overview of the total job. the proportionality thing is what I;m more interested in.
CT

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT fastmail DOT fm> wrote:
On 04/27/2010 02:39 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 4/27/2010 8:09 AM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 April 2010 05:24:04 chitowner watertower wrote:
>>> I would like to suggest- if any dev team members happen to see this- that
>>>    it would be a nifty option if some kind of progress indicator could be
>>>    added to the backupPC interface. AFAICT, when a backup is running, there
>>>    are no hourly additions to the log file, or anything else to show how much
>>>    has been done in relation to the total job.
>>
>> I would be happy just to see the list of files copied so far when using rsync.
>> It would be very helpful for identifying when large files in the wrong place
>> are causing a backup to slow.
>
> Sometimes you can get an idea of what is happening by looking at what is
> being stored in the pc/host/new directory as a backup runs.

Another trick I've often used is to run an strace command, limited to
file access, on the backuppc dump process on the server:

strace -e trace=file -p <pid>

It'll list all the files as they get written to disk. Really handy.

Cheers,
Raman