BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-04-15 12:09:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:06:42 -0500
On 4/15/2010 10:24 AM, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a solution which works reliably for them including
> both SSH + rsync or SSH + rsyncd on windows with BPC ?

There have been some solutions posted that used ssh port-forwarding to
connect to rsyncd which was configured or firewalled to only accept
localhost connections.  But I thought the current cygwin sshd/rsync
basically worked like it would on Linux (earlier versions would hang
randomly).

> So far. I've tried various combinations of the above with very
> un-reliable results. One method I'm using now is openvpn + rsyncd, but
> again that is also not reliable (because openvpn falls over so BPC can't
> ping, so no backup (and no error)).

You can probably fix the openvpn setup.  Are you using something like:
keepalive 30 120
ping-timer-rem
persist-tun
persist-key
or on the client side of a client/server:
ping 15
ping-restart 45

The likely problem is a stateful firewall that times out the connection
if there is no activity.

> Bonus would be a solution that can backup open files...

Those have been posted too, using windows VSS shadow copies.