BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-04-15 09:09:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:07:53 +0200

Yupp, it does seem to work. The pc-folder is being filled up slowly at
40-60Mbps. Pretty good I'd say.

What I did:
* Installed MobaSSH ssh-server on the Win-machine. Ssh-login from BPC to
Win-machine works using passwordless login with certificates.

* Installed the DeltaCopy (DC) rsyncd-service.

* Have a shared folder on the Win-machine.

* On BPC I added the Win-machine as any other backup-client, but chose
"rsyncd" for $XferMethod.

* Set $RsyncShareName in BPC as "Users".

* Set a virtual directory in DeltaCopy called "Users" pointing to the local
folder E:\users on the Win-machine. Do not add a Comment for this virtual
directory in DC! It will confuse BPC. Do not check Authentication.

* Back in BPC again, unchecked the $RsyncdUserName and $RsyncdPasswd.

* I unchecked the $RsyncdAuthRequired checkbox. I couldn't make it work with
it requiring authentication.

* Saved and started a full backup.

Now, a potential gotcha' is the second but last item on the above bullet-list.
This is an intranet, firewalled from here to eternity, so no outside
connections should be able to connect at all. It feels a bit shakey to not
have some sort of authentication on this, and where it should go. DeltaCopy or
BPC or both or... Well, you get my drift I hope.

I also am not quite sure which of MobaSSH or DeltaCopy is making this work, or
if it's a combination; in the former case I'll need to purchase a license.
MobaSSH is payware, while DeltaCopy is not.

Comments and hints are welcome.

Thanks *all* for taking the time to help me getting this far. Wouldn't have
done it w/o your help guys!
--
/Sorin