BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] MakeLink failed with -4

2010-02-22 12:40:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] MakeLink failed with -4
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:38:53 -0600
On 2/22/2010 11:20 AM, clayj AT nwlink DOT com wrote:
> OK - so is that more or less "normal" behavior?

Name mangling is normal.  Link errors are not.

> Should I see anything in the pool/cpool directories while the system is idle?

Yes, one or the other should contain all of your files in a link tree
with hashed filenames.  Cpool is used if you have compression enabled.

> I did try manually hard linking files from the pc tree to pool (but not to
> cpool) and was able to do so.

Did you do this while running as the backuppc user?  The things that
might make it fail would be:
  permissions
  filesystem type doesn't handle hardlinks
  pool is on different filesystem
  out of inodes (check with 'df -i')
  too many existing links to file
  moving $TopDir after install
  ...and probably some things I've forgotten.